Take a 10-night trip and discover the mystical paradise known as Shangri-La on China’s western plateau. Start your trip off in Kunming in Yunnan province, an area known as South of the Clouds. Then travel to Dali and visit Lake Erhai and the Three White Pagodas. Afterward, travel overland to Lijiang with a stop at Xizhou, one of the Bai minority’s villages. Next, drive farther northwest and deep into the Tibetan region and rediscover Shangri-La with a tour of a Tibetan monastery and a chance to view the wildlife of Napa Lake and Bita Lake Nature Reserves. Finally, fly back to Kunming, where you connect with your flight to Hong Kong, spending two nights there before returning to the US. Starting from $4375, including air, with weekly guaranteed departures.
Day 1 - USA/Kunming
Depart the USA on Cathay Pacific's trans-Pacific flight to Kunming. Cross the International Date Line.
Day 2 - Kunming
Arrive in Kunming, capital city of Yunnan Province, "South of the Clouds" and home to 12 ethnic minority groups. You are met and transferred to your hotel. If time permits, a late afternoon tour visits either the Western Hills or the traditional Taoist Golden Temple. (Jinjiang) (B)
Day 3 - Kunming
Today you travel about two hours southeast of the city to see the Stone Forest, unique geological formations, and perhaps visit a local village of the Sani people. (B/L)
Day 4 - Kunming/Dali
After an early breakfast, take a short flight to scenic Dali. Visit Lake Erhai, the Three White Pagodas, and the old city proper. (Landscape) (B/L/D)
Day 5 - Dali/Lijiang
Travel overland to Lijiang, with a stop at Xizhou, a village of the Bai nationality. Then continue to Cang Mountain, stopping for lunch at a local restaurant. Arrive in Lijiang in the afternoon and transfer to your hotel. (Qianxuelou) (B/L/D)
Day 6 - Lijiang
Today's sightseeing in the ancient city of Lijiang includes the Jade Peak Monastery, the Baisha Mural, Jade Spring Park, vestiges of East Ba script, and the canals and cobbled streets of the old city. (B/L/D)
Day 7 - Lijiang/Zhongdian
Drive further towards the northwest and deep into the Tibetan region. Pass soaring snow-capped mountains, treacherous gorges, and peaceful villages in an area that was inaccessible until very recently. Visit Shigu Town, the first bend of the Yangtze River and Hutiao Gorges. (Shangri-La Old Town) (B/L/D)
Day 8 - Zhongdian
Today you rediscover the legendary Shangri-La. Visit the 17th-century Tibetan monastery of Garden Songzalin (Guihua) and enjoy the scenery and wildlife in the Napa Lake and Bita Lake Nature Reserves. You may also have a chance to visit a Tibetan home in a mountain village. (B/L/D)
Day 9 - Zhongdian/Kunming
Return to Kunming by air, followed by a sightseeing tour of the city, which includes Horticultural Expo Park. (Jinjiang) (B/L)
Day 10 - Kunming/Hong Kong
Fly to Hong Kong in the afternoon and transfer to your hotel. (Harbour Grand) (B)
Day 11 - Hong Kong
After breakfast, a half-day sightseeing tour takes you to Stanley Market, Aberdeen, and Victoria Peak. The balance of the day is free for exploring the city and shopping. (B)
Day 12 - Hong Kong/USA
Board Cathay Pacific Airways for return to USA the same day. (B)
Scroll right for more info »»
|Departure Dates||Land & Air *|
|Land Only *||Single Supplement||January 1 - February 29
01/01 - 02/29||March 1-3103/01 - 03/31|
- Land & Air prices are per person based on double occupancy for weekday travel. For weekend travel to and from the US (Fri, Sat & Sun), add $50 each way.
- Land & Air prices include government taxes and fees.
Scroll right for more info »»
- Round trip trans-Pacific airfare via Cathay Pacific Airways coach class
- Round trip airport transfers
- Local airfare, coach class, as per itinerary
- Overland transfers with sightseeing stops as per itinerary
- 3 nights stay in a double occupancy room at Jinjiang Hotel in Kunming
- 1 night stay in a double occupancy room at Landscape Hotel in Dali
- 2 nights stay in a double occupancy room at Qianxuelou Hotel in Lijiang; at Shangri-La Old Town in Zhongdian; and at Harbour Grand in Hong Kong
- Hotel taxes and service charges
- Extensive sightseeing tours by coach/car with English-speaking guide and admission fees in each location as per itinerary: late afternoon tour (time permitting) in Kunming, full-day tour of the Stone Forest, full-day city tour of Dali, Lijiang, Zhongdian, and Kunming, half-day city tour of Hong Kong
- Daily breakfast, 7 lunches, 5 dinners
- Airline fuel surcharge (subject to change) and government taxes and fees
Rates do not include
- Any expenses of personal nature such as tips, laundry, table drinks, telephone calls, etc.
- Optional Travel Insurance
- Any item not mentioned above
- If above hotels or Cathay Pacific Airways are not available at the time of reservation, alternative hotels at the same category or airlines could be used. Prices may differ.
- During trade fairs season and during Christmas and New Year’s Days, some hotels may require surcharges. The prices may increase.
- Tours are private in China. Tours are seat-in-coach in Hong Kong
- Ticket(s) must be issued and full payment must be received 90 days prior to departure
- Major credit card accepted; Credit card authorization required
- Change and cancellation penalty ($250-$600 per person) apply once ticketed; Pacific Holidays’ general cancellation policy applies
- Hotel upgrades, additional hotel nights, extensions to all Asian destinations and add-on air fares from various US cities are available
For more information of these hotels, please click the hotel name.
3 Days/2 Nights
Day 1, Hong Kong/Macau
Transfer from Hong Kong hotel to pier and sail via TurboJet to Macau, on the western side of Pearl River Delta. Arrive and transfer to your hotel. (Grand Emperor Macau/Sofitel at Ponte 16)
Day 2, Macau
Today’s full-day tour includes visits to the statue of Kum Iam, the goddess of mercy; Macau Tower; A-Ma Temple, and the ruins of St. Paul’s Cathedral. Take a walking tour from St. Paul’s to the historic city center. Also, make a short visit to one of Macau’s famous casinos. Tour pick-up and drop-off is at pier. Take your hotel complimentary shuttle to get to the pier. (B/L)
Day 3, Macau/Hong Kong
Transfer to the pier and return to Hong Kong via TurboJet. Return to your hotel in Hong Kong or transfer to airport for your onward flight. (B)
Dates and Rates
Land & Sea
Land & Sea prices are based on weekday (Sun - Thurs) via economy class on Turbo-Jet, day sailing and weekday travel. For weekend hotel stay (Fri and Sat), super class, weekend travel or night sailing, rates are higher.