Embark on this 4-night self-drive tour of Iceland to visit the country’s most famous sights. Along the way, hunt for the magnificent Northern Lights (also known as Aurora Borealis). Begin the tour in Reykjavik, Iceland’s capital and largest city. Tour the renowned Golden Circle, where you visit Gulfoss (golden falls) and Thingvellir National Park, a World Heritage Site. This tour is a real adventure, including such highlights as the famous Geysir hot spring area, the Jokulsarlon Glacier lagoon, beautiful waterfalls and much more. The tour is designed to maximize your chances of witnessing the amazing Northern Lights. However, please note that the Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon that is very hard to predict, hence, sightings cannot be guaranteed. Starting at $1,555 per person, including air, with daily departures.
Day 1 – USA/Reykjavik
Depart from the East Coast via Icelandair to Reykjavik, Iceland’s capital.
Day 2 - Reykjavik (35 miles)
Arrive at Keflavik airport and pick up your rental car. (Optional transfer to your hotel in old city center, where you pick up your car in the afternoon.) Despite its location and the city lights, Northern Lights can often be seen. (Centerhotel Plaza or similar)
Day 3 - Golden Circle (225 miles)
Tour the renowned Golden Circle, including a visit to the Geysir hot springs area, where Strokkur erupts at 5-10 minute intervals. Also, visit the Gullfoss (Golden) waterfall and Thingvellir National Park, a World Heritage Site, and a thermal greenhouse. Drive through the country landscapes of South Iceland to the town of Vik. (Edda Vik or similar) (B)
Day 4 - Glacier Lagoon (240 miles)
This morning, head east, along the southern shore to picturesque Jokulsarlon Glacier lagoon, which has developed as icebergs break up and melt. Seals gather in large numbers at the mouth of the lagoon to catch fish during the winter. On the way back to Vik, visit breathtaking Skaftafell National Park, part of Vatnajokull National Park. (B)
Day 5 - Volcanoes and Waterfalls (110 miles)
Driving along the southern coast, see the waterfalls Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss, as well as the glaciers and volcanoes of Myrdalsjokull/Katla and Eyjafjallajokull. View spectacular Blue Lagoon, where you have a change to enjoy soaking in the mineral-rich water while you look for the Northern Lights overhead. (Note: For bath, pre-book entrance time.) Late afternoon, arrive in Reykjavik and return the car. (Centerhotel Plaza or similar) (B)
Day 6 - Reykjavik/USA
Transfer from the hotel in Reykjavik to airport for your flight back to the US via Icelandair. (B)
Note: This tour is designed to maximize your chances of witnessing the amazing Northern Lights; sightings cannot be guaranteed. This tour also operates in summer months, but without the lights.
Scroll right for more info »»
Land & Air prices are per person based on double occupancy and include government taxes and fees.
|Departure Dates||Land & Air *||Land Only *||Single Supplement||January 1 - March 31|
Scroll right for more info »»
- Round trip airfare from East Coast gateway city to via Icelandair to Reykjavik, coach class
- 2 nights stay in a double occupancy room in Reykjavik, with breakfast
- 2 nights stay in a double occupancy room in Vik, with breakfast
- Hotel taxes and service charges
- Car rental for 4 days, from pickup in Keflavík airport on day 2 to drop off in Reykjavík in afternoon on day 5.
- One-way bus transfer ticket Reykjavík-Keflavík for departure
- Airline fuel surcharge (subject to change) and government taxes and fees
Rates do not include
- Any expenses of personal nature such as tips, laundry, table drinks, telephone calls, etc.
- Optional Travel Insurance
- Any item not mentioned above
- If hotels listed or Icelandair is not available at the time of reservation, alternative hotels at the same category or airlines could be used. Prices may differ.
- During trade fairs season and during Christmas and New Year’s Days, some hotels may require surcharges. The prices may increase.
- Ticket(s) must be issued within 30 days of reservation; full payment must be received 90 days prior to departure
- Major credit cards accepted; credit card authorization required
- Change and cancellation penalties ($250-$600 per person) apply once ticketed; Pacific Holidays’ general cancellation policy applies
- Hotel upgrades, additional hotel nights, extensions and add-on air fares from various US cities are available
For more information of these hotels, please click the hotel name.